US Pedestrian Injury and Fatality Statistics
Pedestrian accidents are often devastating. Because pedestrians have virtually no protection and are often struck by vehicles weighing 2,000 pounds or more traveling at a relatively high rate of speed, pedestrian accidents often involve broken bones, severe lacerations, head injuries, paralysis, and death.
The following provides pedestrian accident injury data as reported by the National Highway Safety Transportation Administration (“NHTSA”):
- In 2012, 4,743 pedestrians died from traffic-related injuries and another 76,000 pedestrians sustained non-fatal injuries in the United States. On average, one pedestrian in the United States is killed in a traffic crash every 2 hours, and one pedestrian is injured every 7 minutes.
- The rate of pedestrian deaths has increased from 11% to 14% over the ten-year period from 2003 to 2012. Factors contributing to this increase may include more people walking to and from work as a result of the economy, road construction, and distracted drivers.
- Alcohol continues to be a significant factor in pedestrian deaths, both from driver and pedestrian intoxication.
- Children, males, and those over 65 are at increased risk of injuries and death.
How We Help
We represent pedestrians who have sustained severe injuries as the result of being hit by cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other automobiles. We also represent the families of those who have lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident.
We normally represent the victims of pedestrian accidents and their families on a contingency fee basis. As a result, you will not owe us for any fees unless and until we are successful in recovering compensation for you.
We offer a no-obligation, free consultation so that you can meet with us and learn how we represent clients in personal injury and wrongful death cases. We would invite you to take advantage of this opportunity by calling our office to schedule a meeting at a convenient time.
- Car, Truck and Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Automobile Accident FAQ
- Automobile Insurance Coverage
- New York No-Fault Law
- Liability Insurance
- Auto Accident Injury Data
- Fatality Charts
- Passenger Injuries
- Pedestrian Injuries
- Pedestrian Injury Data
- What Should I Do if I’m Injured in an Automobile Accident
- Seat Belt Issues
- Speeding Fatality Charts
- Sate Accident Fatality Charts
- School Bus Accidents
- Bus Accident Charts
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Tips for Preventing Motorcycle Injuries
- Truck Accidents
- Large Truck Accidents
- Large Truck Data
I was very pleased with Bill and his staff in helping me with my case. I was impressed with his representation. I was compensated for my injuries and was very satisfied with my settlement. I found Bill very understanding and easy to talk to. I would recommend him. Thank you.
Avvo 5 Star Review – Chris